Scot McKnight’s* Kingdom Roots podcast recently posted an episode that presented his talk called “What I Wish Every Christian Would Do When Reading the Bible” (episode 125, episode links below**). It’s about 40 minutes long and has lots of wise and helpful suggestions for us as we read the Bible.
As a teaser, here are the main points he makes:
- The Bible is a gift from God.
- Get out of the way.
- Develop bigger ears.
- Locate what you’re reading in the bigger story.
- Read the Bible with others.
- Learn your church history.
- Take advantage of seminaries, Christian colleges, conferences, and other educational resources for reading the Bible.
- Avoid taking verses out of their context (paragraph, book, culture, etc).
- Don’t be afraid to be mistaken.
- When you read the Bible don’t expect too much.
- Thank God for speaking in the Bible.
Give it a listen!
*Scot McKnight was for 18 years Professor in Religious Studies at North Park University, the Evangelical Covenant’s Church school in Chicago. He now teaches New Testament at Northern Seminary.