I am out of my element. And it’s shaking my world. I’m realizing more and more that I tend towards very ‘black and white’ thinking. Things are either right or they’re wrong – and I generally don’t do well in a world of ‘greys’. But here I am – in a season of unknown and change – trying to process all that’s happening in our world today with Covid-19 and the heaviness I feel as I try to make the ‘right’ decisions. Decisions that I wish were ‘black and white’, but they’re not. Two nights ago, I was feeling the stress pretty high, so I found my Bible and ended up at one of David’s Psalms – Psalm 13:
“O LORD, how long will you forget me? Forever?
How long will you look the other way?
How long must I struggle with anguish in my soul, with sorrow in my heart every day?
How long will my enemy have the upper hand?”
In those first two verses, David asks God four times, “How long?”. I think that God led me to this Psalm, because I too have been asking Him this week, “How long”…
“How long will Covid-19 last?
How long do I need to stay at home?
How long until I can go back to church?
How long until life will be ‘normal’ again?”
The Psalm doesn’t say if God answered David’s questions, but David CHOOSES to end the Psalm with these last two verses:
“BUT I trust in your unfailing love,
I will rejoice because you have rescued me.
I will sing to the LORD because He is good to me.”
So I too am learning to say, as David showed me…”Lord, I don’t know how long Covid-19 will last…
BUT I TRUST – in Your love which will never fail me…
I will rejoice – because You DO have a plan and ultimately You have already rescued me from anything that can harm me…
I will sing – of your goodness, because even in this, You ARE so good to me.
Normally at this point in the email, I would tell you about all the events that are happening this weekend. As you already know, I can’t do that, because all Malmo events have been cancelled, due to Covid-19. But what I CAN tell you is, we are working hard at providing resources and information, to help us all stay connected during this season. Here’s what we have so far:
- Pastor Randall is working hard on a resource for you and your family to use on Sunday mornings at 11:00am. We are calling it “Scattered but Worshipping Together”. It will provide us with instructions for a short worshipful gathering around God’s word, that we as Malmo will do together, even though we are apart. For this week, we will be sending that to you via email format on Saturday. (Hopefully in the coming weeks, it will be included in Friday’s Weekly News email.). It will also be on the website at: www.malmochurch.ca/scattered-but-worshiping-together/, and accessible on the homepage.
- We want to keep hearing about the praises and the prayer requests that you have throughout the week. Would you continue to share them with us? You can do this by replying to this email. I’ll compile them throughout the week and include them in the coming week’s Friday News Email. (We’ll continue to leave the Malmo Prayer Chain email for serious and immediate prayer requests.)
- You’ll notice that at bottom of this message, are the prayer requests that were shared last Sunday. They are listed there for you. We also have a printable copy for you as well. Just click on the link at the bottom of the “Our Community Needs Prayer” List.
- Pastor Marc and Dixie are continuing to work hard on providing you excellent resources to use during this Lenten Season. Our theme of “Listening” continues, with this week’s practice being “Listening to Your Day”. CLICK HERE to see it.
- Some of you may be wondering how to give your tithes and offerings, now that we’re not meeting together in person. May I encourage you to consider Online Giving? Both E-transfers and Paypal are accepted, and can be accessed on our Giving page at: www.malmochurch.ca/generosity/online-giving/. However, if you’re not comfortable with online giving, you can still send your tithes and offerings through the mail via Canada Post. Our address is: RR #2, Wetaskiwin AB, T9A 1W9. We’ll make sure to pass that mail onto our Financial Secretary.
We will be posting ALL updates regarding events and news on our website. So please continue to check www.malmochurch.ca regularly. We have a special “Covid-19 Response” page set up. As well as links to our Online Giving, “Scattered but Worshipping Together”, Discipleship Resources – and so much more! So head over to our website for all you need to know.
Thanks for your patience – this was a long email, but there was much to share. We are thinking about you all and praying for wisdom, patience, strength and hope – for each of us – as we navigate through this season of Covid-19.