Here’s a six minute video with some tips on how to read scripture with children, which you may find helpful especially during this season of extra time with your children. Reading the Bible with your children doesn’t need to be difficult or scary! (Main points are below the video.)
The main points are:
- Start with Jesus. All of scripture testifies to him, so laying the foundation of his life and teaching will be helpful.
- Don’t worry too much about formal teaching of the Bible. Just read and listen and observe together, knowing that the Holy Spirit is present and at work in your hearts and minds.
- Don’t avoid or sanitize the difficult parts or pretend they don’t exist.
- You don’t have to have all the answers. It’s okay to say “I don’t know” or “Good question. I’ll have to look into that.”
- Listen to your children as you read. Jesus says we must become like children to enter the Kingdom of God. Perhaps that includes listening with the ears of children. You may learn things from them.